The daughter of great communist leader Karl Marx one day said, “I received a treasure which is more valuable than anything else, a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I am keeping this safely in my diary. The current life that I am leading is completely the opposite of the Christian way of life. I do not have the liberty to talk, discuss about the scriptures nor can I take part in adoration or mass. I remember my mother’s words which she shared with me when I was young. I got this picture when I was cleaning the shelf. Every time I look at this picture I am filled with a peach which is not of this world. It fills my heart with love taking away all my pain.” She continued to say, “My Jesus, my good friend. Jesus who takes away all my sins and grief.”
Kahlil Gibran says, “When you love do not say God is in my heart rather say I am in God’s heart.” And when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32). The sentinel who was with Christ at the crucifixion, confessed that Jesus was the son of God. The good thief believed in Jesus and attained heaven. Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea who were the disciples of Jesus in secret came and proclaimed Jesus publically after the crucifixion. Joseph ensured that the body of Jesus was embalmed and placed in a tomb.
“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it” (Proverbs 4:23). The heart pumps the blood to all parts of the body and the heart is often referred to as the mind and spirit in the Bible. Heart is the seat of all emotions. Why did Jesus shed every drop of blood tearing his heart in the process for us? I loved you till the end and there is no greater sacrifice than this that you give your life for love. Jesus was an epitome for this.
The Sacred heart of Jesus is filled with eternal love and he invites us to partake of this love. It was this love that prompted St Thomas to become a martyr and clarifying all the doubts he had about the resurrection. St Thomas’ surrender, My Lord, My God has become the foundation for Indian Church. The death on the cross is the most important sign of his love.
Fulton J Sheen laments for the shattered lives. We lose our way because we are not able to see the deep wounds inflicted on Jesus at the Calvary. Jesus gave the promises to St. Margaret Mary for all those who follow the devotion to Sacred Heart so that people may experience his love. We must realize the price God had to pay in giving his own son to prove his love for us. It is here that the God becomes the true God for mankind; the sacrificial love. The price God paid to redeem the mankind is his wounded heart and that heart is even today pierced by our sins.
The curtains in the temple tore into two at the time of Christ’s crucifixion. Now we attain God our Father through Sacred Heart of Jesus, the new temple. There is no mediator between God and man. The one, who sees Christ, sees the Father as well. Those who see the Sacred Heart of Jesus every day sees Christ.
How Can We Devote Our Lives to Sacred Heart?
The foundation of our discipleship is the love of the Sacred Heart. We should ensure the sparks are always alive in our hearts. The eternal love is calling us and there is no death for those who love.
Let us remember the 12 promises Jesus gave to St. Margaret Mary:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state in life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will comfort them in their trials.
- I will be their secure refuge during life, and, above all, in death.
- I will shed abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners will find in My Heart an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Lukewarm souls will become fervent.
- Fervent souls will rapidly grow in holiness and perfection.
- I will bless every place where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- The names of those who promote this devotion will be written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
- I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
Fr Boniface CST