We should, indeed, honor St. Joseph, since the Son of God Himself was graciously pleased to honor him by calling him father. (St. Alphonsus Liguori)
19th of March is celebrated as the principle feast day of St. Joseph. Saint Joseph was a man of few words. He spoke through his actions. He opened his heart to Gods will. He, in all his goodness responded to Gods call to:
- Be the Chaste spouse of Mary: Pope Leo XIII said, Saint Joseph had been given to our Lady not only as her life’s companion, but a witness of her maidenhood and the protector of her honor.
- Be the Foster Father for our Saviour: Saint Joseph’s fatherhood towards Jesus is not a fatherhood according to the flesh, but a real and unique fatherhood that arose from his unique mission.
- Be the Guardian of the Holy Family: Joseph was chosen by God to protect the holy family. His love for Jesus was evidenced by his concern for the safety of this Holy Child entrusted to him. He willingly left his home and everything he had or knew, in fear for the life of the child Jesus. He spent years moving and hiding to keep Jesus safe.
- Be the Protector of the Universal Church: The Church is the extension of the Holy family and all of us are members of this family by grace. Joseph is the heavenly patron and the defender of the Mother Church, founded by Jesus.
- Be the patron of workers: Joseph was a simple craftsman, a carpenter who worked hard to provide for his family. Pius XII emphasized that St. Joseph was the only worker who lived with our saviour in closest intimacy and community of family life and work.
- Patron of a happy Death: Joseph has obtained special power against the evil spirits, who tempt us at the hour of death. The assistance given to St. Joseph at his death by Jesus and Mary obtained for him the right to secure a holy and peaceful death for his servants. Hence, if we invoke St.Joseph at the hour of our death, he will not only help the dying, but he will also obtain for them the assistance of Jesus and Mary. – St. Alphonsus Liguori
- Terror of Demons: Satan and his legion of fallen angels had no success in tempting Joseph. Joseph was humble and a just man. He refrained from idle speech and he was righteous in his dealings. Those who turn to Saint Joseph for his powerful intercession and good example, keep Satan and the other corrupt devils away.
Go, then to Joseph, and do all that he shall say to you;
Go to Joseph, and obey him as Jesus and Mary obeyed him;
Go to Joseph, and speak to him as they spoke to him;
Go to Joseph, and consult him as they consulted him;
Go to Joseph, and honour him as they honoured him;
Go to Joseph, and be grateful to him as they were grateful to him;
Go to Joseph, and love him, as they love him still ( St. Alphonsus Liguori).